Jens 'n' Frens
Idle thoughts of a relatively libertarian Republican in Cambridge, MA, and whomever he invites. Mostly political.

"A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures."
  -- Daniel Webster



Tuesday, March 25, 2008 :::
 

A jury in New Hampshire has deemed a threatening letter from a lawyer to be extortion. I'm sure this was a surprise to the lawyer, but I'm sure the jury is out of line.

There's a similar question in fourth amendment law. A police officer can search any property, whether or not there is probable cause, if consent is given, which seems reasonable to me. But my understanding is that the court's definition of voluntary consent is different from a layman's. If a police officer knocks on your door or pulls you over and asks, "may I search your house/car?", is that a request? I think a court would say yes, but I'm not sure it would be clear to the askee that "no" is an option.

And I think I've mentioned this dilemma in freedom of speech cases, particularly in university settings. The administration has to be allowed to express its own opinions, but has to do it in a way that makes clear that students and staff won't be punished for disagreeing.

The line between impermissible coercion and commendable persuasion is sometimes unclear. I don't know that the jury wasn't too aggressive, but I also can't say they were unreasonable.

Labels:



::: posted by Steven at 8:27 PM


Comments: Post a Comment







Comment Policy
_______________

Dollars and Jens
Dean's Antipopulist.com
Steven's web-site


Kitchen Cabinet
Colby Cosh
Instapundit
The Volokh Conspiracy
The Corner
The Bleat from James Lileks
Beldar
Tim Blair
Daily Ablution
RealClearPolitics
Mickey Kaus
Dave Barry
How Appealing
Virginia Postrel
Becker-Posner
Reason's "Hit and Run"
Discriminations
Captain's Quarters
Roger L. Simon
Hewitt
Power Line
IWF's InkWell
Blogs for Bush
Chetly Zarko
Signifying Nothing
 
Massachusetts
Cosmo Macero
Hub Blog
Ex Parte from Harvard Law's Federalists
Harvard CR blog
Priorities & Frivolities
Daley News
Emil Levitin
Politica Obscura
Wave Maker
Town Watch
Worcester County Repubs

 
Election '08
Don't Vote
Dave Barry
John McCain

 
Other Sites of Note
Townhall columnists Cambridge Republican City Committee
Cambridge Chronicle
Robert Winters
Boston Herald
Boston Globe
Boston Metro
Channel 5
Commonwealth Mag
Fox News
Massachusetts Republican Assembly
Robert Benchley Society

Reference
U.S. Constitution
9/11 commission report [7 Meg PDF]
Iraq Survey Group report
Fahrenheight 9/11 deceits


_______________

Idle thoughts of a relatively libertarian Republican in Cambridge, MA, and whomever he invites. Mostly political.


Powered by Blogger