Jens 'n' Frens
Idle thoughts of a relatively libertarian Republican in Cambridge, MA, and whomever he invites. Mostly political.

"A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures."
  -- Daniel Webster



Sunday, February 26, 2006 :::
 

Professor Volokh (PBUH) writes about a bill in the Virginia legislature that would punish any pediatrician who asks a child's parent about firearms in the home (with a few obvious exceptions). Volokh expresses regret that this legislation is supported by the NRA. And I guess I would rather they not support it, but I don't find it as objectionable as I would from someone else.

It reminds me a bit of an incident a few months ago, where Volokh was taken off of someone's blogroll because he had worked with the ACLU. I agreed with the Professor that this was unreasonable — a lot of law professors have done work with the ACLU, and have disagreed with the ACLU on other things, and I assume almost everybody has a point of agreement with the ACLU on something — but I found it a lot less unreasonable when I found out that the blog in question was called "Stop the ACLU". I don't think they would have to blacklist anybody with an affiliation with the ACLU, but having such a broad policy would seem compatible with their charter.

Also, last week I got a mailing from the Republican National Committee. The mailing lists, among "out-of-touch Democrats" running for reelection to the Senate in states won by Bush, Ben Nelson of Nebraska. I don't know him all that well, but I'm pretty sure he's substantially to the right of, say, my Senators, and I don't think he duped Nebraskans into electing him to state-wide office multiple times. But I can forgive the RNC for tarring all Democrats as evil and all Republicans as unfallen. I'd be more critical of a more explicitly ideological group that tried to draw such lines; on the other hand, I'm appalled by the RNC's attacks on Laffey in his primary battle against Chafee.

On all three issues, I cut the group slack for playing the one note they exist to play. I don't celebrate their positions, but I don't consider their disagreement with me to be reason for dismay so much as a reminder that I have more than one value and they don't.


::: posted by Steven at 11:32 PM


Comments:
Well said, Steven.
 
Post a Comment







Comment Policy
_______________

Dollars and Jens
Dean's Antipopulist.com
Steven's web-site


Kitchen Cabinet
Colby Cosh
Instapundit
The Volokh Conspiracy
The Corner
The Bleat from James Lileks
Beldar
Tim Blair
Daily Ablution
RealClearPolitics
Mickey Kaus
Dave Barry
How Appealing
Virginia Postrel
Becker-Posner
Reason's "Hit and Run"
Discriminations
Captain's Quarters
Roger L. Simon
Hewitt
Power Line
IWF's InkWell
Blogs for Bush
Chetly Zarko
Signifying Nothing
 
Massachusetts
Cosmo Macero
Hub Blog
Ex Parte from Harvard Law's Federalists
Harvard CR blog
Priorities & Frivolities
Daley News
Emil Levitin
Politica Obscura
Wave Maker
Town Watch
Worcester County Repubs

 
Election '08
Don't Vote
Dave Barry
John McCain

 
Other Sites of Note
Townhall columnists Cambridge Republican City Committee
Cambridge Chronicle
Robert Winters
Boston Herald
Boston Globe
Boston Metro
Channel 5
Commonwealth Mag
Fox News
Massachusetts Republican Assembly
Robert Benchley Society

Reference
U.S. Constitution
9/11 commission report [7 Meg PDF]
Iraq Survey Group report
Fahrenheight 9/11 deceits


_______________

Idle thoughts of a relatively libertarian Republican in Cambridge, MA, and whomever he invites. Mostly political.


Powered by Blogger